…to live life as if each moment is important,
as if each moment counted and could be worked with,
even if it is a moment of pain, sadness or fear.
- John Kabat-Zinn,
Full Catastrophe Living
Mindfulness is a way of being with and attending to experience with awareness rather than judgement. It is about learning to bring a sense of approach and acceptance to the present moment, just as it is, however pleasant or unpleasant, easy or difficult.
Mindfulness is also a practice and lifeskill, a set of tools to develop insight, clarity and discernment into the vast range of feelings, sensations and thoughts that comprise the human condition.
Mindfulness helps you to become more aware of the unhelpful thought patterns that can trigger and perpetuate stress, anxiety and low moods. With that awareness comes choice and an improved ability to respond skilfully to life’s hurdles.
Benefits of Practicing Mindfulness:
- Improved ability to cope and engage creatively with short and long-term periods of stress.
- Increased calm, relaxation, balance and presence of mind.
- Greater enthusiasm and energy.
- Lasting decreases in a range of physical and psychological symptoms, including stress, anxiety and depression.
- Enhanced ability to cope with and manage physical discomfort and chronic pain.
- A greater sense of approach to working with difficulty.